Thursday, December 14, 2006

Finally, Washington…and I’m blogging solo!!
















December 14, 2006

First off, please understand that Barbara could say all of this in 5 sentences!


We hope that we haven’t lost all of our faithful audience with this delay. Barbara flew home on Tuesday (12/5) to get her teeth tightened and to do some shopping without me around whining. Elsie and I are hunkered down in beautiful Greenbelt National Park, just 12 miles from “the” White House.

I am the only one in the entire campground during the weekdays with a couple of others here on the weekends. There were 2 sites – in tents – last weekend with the night temperature around 22 degrees, so I know I have plenty to be thankful for, including the proverbial “warm puppy”!

The first 9 days were spent on some minor repairs, starting with our internet satellite dish mount that I need in order to visit with you. Any blogging on that would have been unreadable and I wasn’t in the mood for taking pictures doing the job, but it finally did turn out perfect. I got lucky on another repair to the motorhome rear furnace, not that I fixed it but I got the $150 controller board I will need for $34 on EBay! The rest of the time was an easy purchase of a new laptop, followed by the frustration of having to get all the information from the old one to the new one. What a hassle!

The original plan was to spend these 2 weeks exploring as many sites in the capital area as possible to spare Barbara the agony of seeing all of this for the 3rd time. Obviously, being my first time here, the menu is long and delicious. Now I will be filling the next several days trying to eat it all up, so stay tuned.

My first day, today, was spent getting my feet wet on the DC Metrorail system. After Boston and NYC, this one was as easy and a bit nicer. From the motorhome, a 2 miles drive by Jeep put me in the Metrorail parking lot and on to the Green Line, 30 minutes from the center of the capital. I ended up taking an immediate side trip to the National Cathedral on the Red Line (more on that later) before returning to the Washington Monument area. I didn’t know that the monument was on a hill, but you can see most everything from the base. Notice in the pictures that we are still lucky on the weather with today just another great spring day with the highs bit above 60 degrees. I only had enough time to walk from there to the front of the White House while the sun set. Then back to the train and my patiently waiting partner. As with all of our evening walks (boy, it gets real dark here in the forest at 5:30 PM), Elsie gets to bark at a big bunch of deer that roam the woods and crunch the 4-6” deep dry leaves in the campground. She pulls like a draft horse when she wants to play with the “big dogs”.

Anyway, I’m back in action and hope to provide you with some idea of what I’m doing and what I’m seeing. After the feedback I’ve heard from many of you concerning Barbara’s blog descriptions and pictures I know that my style will be somewhat different. Please rest assured that she will return to full time action next week. Finally, a special thank-you to those who kept Barbara busy during her visit, except for the few who forced her into more shopping!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home