Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Oct 30-Plimoth Plantation and the Mayflower




I'd been to these two re-creations before, but they're better as an adult. It took us awhile to get the hang of asking our questions so that the "role players" could answer us. Learned a bit more about Wampanoag history and culture than I had before. The Mayflower certainly looked grim, but on a beautiful sunny day like we had, the Colony was lovely! By 1627, the Colony was stable and flourishing. I'd always imagined that the Pilgrims were the only colony for years, but actually many more ships were arriving each year and starting new settlements. They argue a bit around here about who established the FIRST settlement. Plimoth (I know that looks like I've spelled it wrong, but that's right) was the earliest, BRITISH settlement that was continuously inhabited by the originial settlers. I'll check when we get to Jamestown to see what they think...evidently Jamestown was set up solely as an economic venture and the original inhabitants went back to England. There were also French and Spanish settlements around the same time, I believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home